The Board of Trustees' position regarding student dress is to be adhered to by all pupils attending schools of the Panama-Buena Vista Union School District. The purpose of the dress code is to help generate a positive learning environment for all students.
Conditions of dress and appearance as per Panama-Buena Vista Board policy AP 5132 and AP 5136 are:
The Board and administration reserves the right to declare any mode of dress that in their estimation inhibits the educational process or threatens the safety and protection of all students as unacceptable. If students are dressed in an unacceptable manner, parents will be notified and corrective measures must be taken before the student will be allowed to return to class.
- Excessively large trousers, pants, and overalls may not be worn. All trousers and pants must be worn at the waist. Belt ends may not hang down.
- Excessively oversized shirts, including tee-shirts, worn outside pants are not allowed. Shirt length cannot extend beyond the tips of fingers when student is standing with arms hanging down. Overalls must be worn with straps on the shoulders, not hanging loose.
- All clothing must be neat in appearance. Commercial lettering or printing will be allowed on shirts and sweatshirts as long as it is acceptable for school attire. No clothing may be personalized other than with the given name of the student. Jackets, backpacks, binders, etc. may bear the name of the owner in printed block letters. All other writing on clothing, backpacks, binders, etc. is unacceptable as is writing on the hands or other parts of the body. Clothing with holes or frayed because of being cut off is not acceptable.
- Clothing that is excessively revealing is unacceptable. "Excessively Revealing" includes, but is not limited to:
- clothing that is extremely tight fitting
- backless halter tops or dresses; tube tops; tank-top shirts or muscle shirts cut low at armpits or neckline
- clothing that shows bare midriffs
- shorts the length of which is shorter than halfway between mid-thigh and knee
- clothing that is transparent or revealing
- underwear being worn as an outer garment or being visible during normal student activity.
- Suggestive clothing or objects may not be worn which are libelous, obscene, or depict illegal activity. This includes buttons, arm bands, shirts, insignias, etc. Bandannas of any color or type are not to be worn. Clothing with crude or vulgar printing or pictures depicting tobacco, drugs, alcoholic beverages or clothing that is sexually suggestive or disruptive is not acceptable.
- Clothing that indicates the student's membership on community teams not affiliated with the school may not be worn. This is added to preclude the wearing of jerseys, uniforms, etc. of teams that are not associated with the school programs.
- Hats must be worn facing forward.
- No bare feet, unsafe or disruptive footwear shall be worn.
- Cosmetics to the face and hair that distract from the educational process such as spray-painted hair, extreme painting of the face, glitter in the hair, etc. are unacceptable.
FINAL DETERMINATION OF UNACCEPTABLE CLOTHING WILL BE MADE BY THE SCHOOL ADMINISTRATION.