HISTORY DAY IN CALIFORNIA
2018 Theme: "Conflict & Compromise in History"
County Contest Held Saturday, March 3, 2018State Contest Held Friday-Saturday, May 4-6, 2018National Contest Held Sunday-Thursday, June 10-14, 2018
History Day is an interdisciplinary program that encourages students to research and prepare papers, exhibits, posters, performances, and documentaries on an annual historical theme. Students learn to be historical detectives and sharpen their skills as writers, artists, and performers. The process is exciting, history-based learning experience, for students in grades 4 through 12, who not only learn about issues, ideas, people and events in history, but they apply what they have learned through creative and original productions. Beyond simply memorizing names and dates and reporting on historical events, History Day students develop invaluable research and analytical skills as they process the information gathered through intensive research and draw their own conclusions about their topic's significance in history.Important Dates:
- Mandatory Teacher/Coach Orientation Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 4:00 - 5:00 pm CITY CENTRE, Room 1A, 1300 17th Street
- Intent to Participate Form Due to County Tuesday, September 19, 2017
- Online Registration Deadline, Friday, January 19, 2018
- Historical Papers Due: Monday, February 9, 2018
- Websites Locked for Judging: Friday, February 9, 2018
- County History Day - Saturday, March 3, 2018, Reider Education Center, 2000 K Street
- State History Day - May 4-6, 2018, Rocklin, CA
- National History Day - June 10-14, 2018
For more information, contact Ms. Lisa Beasley, Curriculum Specialist, at (661) 831-8331, ext. 6287 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.