Skip To Main Content

Our Schools

Landing Nav


Foster Youth

Contact us at (661) 831-8331, Extension 6602 or email the District Liaison at for questions about Foster Youth Support or for more information.

Who is eligible for Foster Youth Services? 


Children and youth between the ages of 4 and 21 who are:

  • In out-of-home placement or living at home, and under court supervision (WIC 300). 

  • Wards placed by the court in out-of-home care (WIC 602). 

  • Supervised by your county under the Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children (ICWA). 

  • Under supervision of the tribal court (ICWA). 

How does AB 490 support Foster Youth?


AB 490 requires that every school district appoint a foster youth liaison to protect the educational rights of wards and dependents, ensuring they are made aware of their right:

  • to remain at the school of origin. 

  • to access to academic resources.

  • to timely transfer of grades and credits.

  • to immediate enrollment into school. 

Child and Backpack with "Foster Youth Rights"

Information about Foster Youth Rights

  • Foster Youth Rights: This flyer provides information to Foster Youth of their overall human rights, regardless of placement and includes contact information for the CA Foster Care Ombudsman. 
  • Foster Youth Educational Rights: This flyer provides information regarding the educational rights of foster youth including contact information to the P-BVUSD District Foster Youth Liaison. 
  • California Foster Care Education Law Facts Sheets: This handout provides a comprehensive look at CA laws pertaining to foster youth including AB 490, Educational Decision-Making Rights, AB 167/216, Early Care and Education, Education Services for Transition Age Youth, Special Education, Nonpublic Schools, Functional Behavioral Assessments, School Discipline, Special Education Discipline, and Educationally Related Mental Health Services (ERMHS)
Child and Backpack with "Important Contacts"

Important Contacts for Foster Youth


  • District Foster Youth Education Liaisons: New to a school or district and unsure of who can help you? Click here for access to the most up-to-date list of Foster Youth District Liaisons in California. 

  • Cal-Family Urgent Response System (Cal-FURS): The Family Urgent Response System (FURS) is a Free 24/7/365 Hotline for current or former foster youth and their caregivers to call and get immediate help for any big or small issues you may be having. 833-939-3877  

  • 9-8-8 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline: When people call, text, or chat 988, they will be connected to trained counselors that are part of the existing Lifeline network. These trained counselors will listen, understand how their problems are affecting them, provide support, and connect them to resources if necessary.

  • Panama-Buena Vista Union School District Liaison: If you have any questions regarding Foster Youth services at our District, feel free to contact Student Support Services at 661-831-8331 Extension 6602 or email Greg Adkins at

Resources for Foster Youth


Child and Backpack with "Frequently Asked Questions"

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


Who is the Educational Rights Holder for Foster Youth? 

This will depend on each individual situation. School staff is encouraged to contact the Department of Human Services (DHS) Social Worker assigned to each case in order to determine who holds Educational Rights. Please note that only the Educational Rights Holder (ERH) can make educational decisions. For assistance with obtaining the contact information of DHS Social Workers, feel free to speak with the designated School Social Worker (SSW) or contact our office at 831-8331 Extension 6602. 

Foster Screening & Intake Forms


It is common for foster youth and children to experience regular changes in residential and school placement. In an effort to ensure stability in the support services provided to all foster youth and children in Panama-Buena Vista Union School District schools, we ask all office staff to ensure that the following screening and intake forms and completed and sent to Student Support Services as soon as possible. 

Stop! Order through Munis

Foster Youth Screening Questions Form

The Foster Youth Screening Questions form should be completed upon knowledge of a foster student at any P-BVUSD school and sent to the Student Support Services Department as soon as possible. English forms (702996) and Spanish forms (702997) are available for order via Blue Book on the Clerical Hub.

Stop! Order through Munis

Foster Youth Initial Education Intake Form

The Foster Youth Initial Education Intake form should be completed upon knowledge of a foster student at any P-BVUSD school and sent to the Student Support Services Department as soon as possible. English forms (702998) and Spanish forms (702999) are available for order via Blue Book on the Clerical Hub.

Eliminating barriers and coordinating resources and support for all students